Registrato: 24/06/19 09:53
|In this age of mobile games and gaming consoles , people are still preferring physical games for leisure. One such game growing in prominence in India is Foosball.
Also known as table football or table soccer, it is a western import. The game's setup is simple and is easy to play. On the foosball table, toy footballers are fixed on rods and players have to twist and turn the rods in order to put the ball in the goalpost. Flexible rules and team playing nature makes it a joyful and great game for pastime.
The origin of the sport is sketchy. But, it is commonly believed that the foosball table was invented in Europe. But , the first patent for the game was taken by Harold Searles in 1921 in the United Kingdom. Since then, the game has been adopted vigorously across Europe and North America.
The game came to India through the Britishers during the colonial times. In those times, the sport was played only by a few elites in the society. But in the current age, it is gaining in popularity as one of the best leisure games.
What factors are actually promoting Foosball in the country?
Demand in Cities :
Just like bowling and billiards , foosball has demand in the metropolitan cities of the country. The game is popular in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, and Chandigarh which have high per capita income. People are spending their disposable incomes in leisure sports like football.
Expat Influence :
Indians are spread throughout the world. When they return back to the country , they bring with them some of the cultural aspects of the host nation. Majority of expat Indians are from North America. They have a profound influence on the growth of the game in the country.
Game Manufacturers :
A few decades ago only a few foosball table manufacturers are present in the country. But now, owing to market demands, the foosball manufacturers are flourishing. It is leading to available of tables in low cost with an option of customization.
Popular Culture :
Major trends are often championed by popular culture. In the India of '90s, the urban upper middle class was influenced by an America sit-com named Friends. It featured the khel foosball regularly. In that , two main characters called Joey and Chandler played the game foosball.
International tournaments on foosball are of great repute in the western world. In India too, regular foosball tournaments are held by Federation of Table Soccer, India. The organization is vigorously promoting the game in the country. It administers and regulates the game with clear rules, regulations and developing sport skills in children.
To Conclude : Though the game is gaining in prominence , it is restricted to pockets of affluence in the country. People of high earnings with disposable incomes are patrons of the game. This can be increased further if the game is brought to small cities and towns where people are devoid of alternative leisure activities other than the Indian Cinema.
Several of the largest natural disasters have occurred recently. These include the earthquake and tsunami in South East Asia and Hurricane Katrina in the Southern United States. Thousands of disasters occur every year. They all don't affect thousands of people, but the impact is as dire for each one that has to experience it. Each time a disaster occurs our hearts go out to those affected. However, what can we do when we are many miles away?
The following are some of the ways you might contribute to others affected by a disaster:
1. Pray. If you believe that miracles happen every day, as I do , then prayer should be at the top of your list.
2. Give Blood. There is always a need for blood. Especially when major disasters occur. Contact the Red Cross to learn about giving blood and schedule a time to donate at 1-800-GIVELIFE.
3. Send Notes. Give hope to the victims of the disaster as well as the relief workers by sending an encouraging note. If you do not have specific individuals to send to, send your notes to the local area through relief agencies, churches, schools and newspapers.
4. Volunteer. Go with a group to the location of the disaster to be a part of the rebuilding process. This could be with a local church or organization. You can also donate your time to volunteer organizations that respond to disasters. One of the first to respond is the Salvation Army. You can register your desire to volunteer by contacting your local Salvation Army office.
5. Donate Funds. Make a financial contribution to organizations that support the victims of the disaster. The Red Cross responds to thousands of disasters each year. You can donate at 1-800-HELP-NOW.
6. Donate Items. When disaster strikes , people can be without necessities for a long time. You can help by donating some of these items. If you want to support relief efforts by providing items, one of the best ways is to build and send relief kits. The United Methodist Committee on Relief and Operation Blessing are two organizations that teach you how to make the relief kits and where to send them. You can contact these organizations at 1-800-814-8765 and 1-757-226-3401, respectively.
7. Provide Shelter. If you are a property owner with vacant rental housing, you might help those driven from their home. Contact Disaster Housing Resources Online to learn more and register your available space.
8. Have a Fundraiser. If you cannot afford to donate funds , conduct a fundraising event. The event does not need to be extravagant. I am aw.